ART$PAY PHOTOGRAPHERS – CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
EXHIBITION TITLE – “WATERLOO MOVES”
In partnership with the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), this theme revolves around the City of Waterloo, and has to do with motion and movement. Submissions may involve over-exposure, multiple exposures, motion blur, panning etc. photography techniques and also more traditional photographic interpretations of the theme, about changes, history, transportation, dance, new citizens, nature and crowds as examples. Submission cut-off is by 6:00 PM on Monday January 28, 2019
Saturday March 02, 2019 – afternoon & evening performances with receptions; see Event Schedule
CIGI Auditorium & Lobby, 67 Erb Street West, Waterloo, ON
Applicants must be paid-up Art$Pay members at the time of submission. Click here for membership benefits, terms and to become a member
A PERFORMANCE EXHIBITION
1. Eight or nine selected AP photographers will be paired with their chosen ‘sound’ artist who will be asked to use their own medium to ‘react’ to that body of photographic artwork. The work of both artists will culminate in a joint public ‘performance’ involving the projected images while the accompanist performs on stage. Local students will be invited to submit photographs on the theme for jurying into a student compilation.
2. Applicants are requested to indicate only the genre of the solo accompanist which would best match their submission. Is it a drummer, an actor, musician, singer, spoken word poet, DJ ... other? Art$Pay makes all arrangements and pays the accompanists. Applicants do not request or make contact with an accompanist. The two artists meet for the first time during the March 2nd performance event.
3. After each performance, the photographer will join their sound artist partner on the stage to deliver their short prepared artist statements to the audience.
4. There will be two same-day exhibitions, afternoon and evening, each lasting about 2 hours, with 9 artist pairs each performing 10 minutes in total.
5. The jurors’ names will be made public at that time.
6. A reception will be held following each performance to give the photographers and audience an opportunity to talk about the work and to make arrangements to purchase prints.
7. Please see the Event Schedule below. More details will be provided to successful applicants in the Artist Agreement.
8. Event General Admission will be $20, AP Members $15, Children 12 and under free
Deadline is by 6:00PM on Monday January 28, 2019 by email to email@example.com.
Only complete submissions received by deadline will be considered
1. Email Subject: (Your Full Name) – CIGI Photography Submission
2. Original photographic still images relevant to the exhibition title:
A body of work, 20-30 images, sufficient to fill 5-7 minutes of projection time
Colour and/or black & white, jpg format, resolution size 1920 pixels wide x 1080 pixels high. The aspect ratio of the CIGI auditorium screen is 16:9 if an applicant wishes to take, or crop, images to fill the screen; otherwise AP adds black background.
Name each photograph with your first and last name, and its number in the viewing sequence; for example Jane Smith 1, Jane Smith 2....
Upload your images to Dropbox, Google Drive or another file-sharing service and provide a link in the body of your submission email
2. Attach to your email a one page PDF with:
Your full name, phone(s) and email address
A brief artist statement, 150 words or less, explaining how your work relates to the exhibition title
Your preferred sound accompanist genre, specified where applicable; for example classical violin, jazz vocalist, Indigenous drummer, DJ rap music, a Shakespearean monologue...
Optional: any general considerations important to the display of your work for AP to convey to your sound artist partner, without influencing their artistic reaction to your work.
4. Your presence on Saturday March 2nd, 2019 including the pre-performance preparation times, and your presence at both performances & receptions.
1. Images may be used by Art$Pay for event promotional purposes, and will be shared with the sound artist who will sign an agreement against personal use or gain.
2. The sound artist will determine the projection speed of the images to work with their own performance, but not to the detriment of the enjoyment and presentation of the image. An average viewing time of 15 seconds per image is being offered as a guideline, remembering that the audience will be looking at both the projected image and the sound artist on stage.
3. AP artists agree to pay 20% commission to Art$Pay on all sales and any commissions received as a result of this opportunity, for up to 30 days inclusive following the event.
4. All applicants will be notified by email. The Artist Agreement will be attached for successful applicants, with a deadline for mailed return with a refundable deposit $75, cash or cheque, which will be returned to participating artists after the event.
5. Successful applicants are asked to acknowledge their continued participation by return email as soon as possible.
1. Is there an Artist Fee or an Exhibition Fee? No. The refundable $75 deposit will be cashed only in cases of non-participation to cover AP expenses. A 20% pre-tax commission back to AP helps to cover expenses for this event and future opportunities.
AP pays for the event organization and administration time, graphic design, printing costs, promotions, venue expenses including the Sherwood AV and CIGI cleaning staff, equipment rental, and fees for the jurors and the accompanists. The selected artists will have two reception opportunities to sell their work.
2. What does AP do? An artist-run, non-profit organization, Art$Pay connects visual art practitioners with opportunities, community, and advocates for fair pay. The $35 annual member fee pays another practitioner to work on members’ behalf to do postings, website maintenance and communications.
Member benefits include a Discount Card for use at Curry’s Artist’s Materials, Chapters Waterloo, THEMUSEUM, ZM Cycle & Fitness, Open Sesame and more, free art critique sessions in public galleries with paid professional art experts, art rental opportunities including The Centre In The Square, juried exhibitions and sales organized for members, notifications of posted jobs and Calls, subsidized workshops, monthly Meet-ups with organized Artist Talks and other benefits at www.artspay.org .
3. Do I submit an image list with titles? Yes
4. Do I have to bring hard copies of the photographic images? No, these are not required for purposes of the CIGI performance exhibitions. An optional display of hard and/or electronic images of this juried body of work only is possible during the reception following each performance.
5. Do I need to be present at both performances on Saturday March 2? Yes. You and the sound artist will deliver your submitted artist statements after your work is shown in both performances. The hour long reception after each event is intended to give your audience and you an opportunity to connect, learn, to make sales and plan any future commissions.
6. Who sets up the reception displays and processes sales? AP acts as a connector. Each artist brings and sets up their temporary display on March 2 and handles all financial transactions. AP does not track sales and the 20% commissions owing to AP are to be paid on the ‘honour system’. CIGI has a number of permanent tables in the lobby area that may be used for display.
7. Other questions? Please contact Cathy Farwell, AP Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
EVENT SCHEDULE 2019
Monday January 28 @ 6 pm - Cut-off for photography submissions
Monday February 04 - All applicants notified by email & selected sound artists contacted with images
Monday February 18 - Deadline for sound artist’s image timing
Saturday March 2 -
Artist afternoon arrival time - TBA
Performance 1:30-3:30 pm with reception to 4:30pm
Artist evening arrival time - TBA
Performance 7-9 pm with reception to 10:30pm