STUDENT PHOTOGRAPHERS – CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
EXHIBITION TITLE WATERLOO MOVES
Hosted by Art$Pay www.artspay.org in Partnership with the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI)
Saturday March 2, 2019
Performances at 1:30 pm and 7:00 pm, followed by receptions with the juried Art$Pay Photographers
CIGI Auditorium & Lobby
67 Erb Street West, Waterloo, ON
STUDENT APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY
Applicants must be secondary or post-secondary students, and residents of Waterloo Region at the time of submission
STUDENT SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Deadline is by 6:00PM on Monday January 28, 2019 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only complete submissions received by deadline will be considered.
Free submission and event participation for eligible student applicants
1. The Submission Email
Subject: “(Your Full Name) – CIGI Photography Student Submission”
In the body of your email include: your full name, grade or year, phone(s), email and mailing address with postal code
2. Include or attach original photographic still images relevant to the exhibition title:
Up to 5 images from a body of work relevant to the title WATERLOO MOVES
Colour and/or black & white, jpg format, resolution size 1920 pixels wide x 1080 pixels high.
The aspect ratio of the CIGI auditorium screen is 16:9 if an applicant wishes to take, or crop, images to fill the screen, otherwise AP adds black background.
Name each photograph with your first and last name, and its number in the viewing sequence; for example Jane Smith 1, Jane Smith 2….
Upload your images to Dropbox, Google Drive or another file-sharing service and provide a link in the body of your submission email, or attach jpgs to an email, to be 4 MB or smaller
Optional - include a brief Artist Statement, 150 words or less, about your submission for the jurors with your full name
1. The jurors may require higher resolution images for projection purposes.
2. Images may be used by Art$Pay for event promotional purposes, and will be shared with the accompanist who will sign an agreement against personal use or gain.
3. All applicants will be notified by email of the jurors’ selections.
A PERFORMANCE EXHIBITION
1. Eight or nine selected Art$Pay (AP) member photographers will be paired with their chosen ‘sound’ accompanist who will be asked to use their own medium to ‘react’ to that body of photographic artwork. The work of both will culminate in a joint public ‘performance’ involving the projected images while the accompanist performs on stage. Those AP member applicants are requested to indicate the solo accompanist which would best match their photography submission - a drummer, an actor, musician, singer, spoken word poet, DJ … ?
2. The jurors will create a compilation of selected student photography, choose that accompanist, and this compilation will be included in both two hour projection performances on May 26th.
3. The jurors’ names will be made public at that time.
4. A reception will be held following each performance to give the Art$Pay photographers and audience an opportunity to talk about the work, make arrangements to purchase prints.
5. Tickets will go on sale soon at www.artspay.org in late January, early February 2019
6. Each selected student participant will receive a free recording of the WATERLOO MOVES performance exhibition including their image(s), useful for portfolios and CV.
IMAGES - What kind of photographic images can be submitted for WATERLOO MOVES?
What interests you as a photographer?
This theme revolves around the City of Waterloo, and has to do with motion and movement.
Submissions may involve over-exposure, multiple exposures, motion blur, panning etc. photography techniques and also more traditional photographic interpretations of the theme, about changes, history, transportation, dance, new citizens, nature and crowds as just a few examples
QUESTIONS? Contact Cathy at email@example.com
Art$Pay is an artist-run, non-profit organization, connecting regional visual art practitioners with opportunities, community, and advocating for fair pay www.artspay.org