CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Art$Pay presents AP NOW! … creative, ingenious, innovative, inventive original visual art from selected Art$Pay members, Guelph and Wellington County artists!
JURIED BY Joanne Poluch, Remarque Art Consulting
IMPORTANT NOTES TO APPLICANTS
Two successive exhibitions are being arranged for the same body of juried artwork
Successful applicants must be available for all show dates and times at both venue locations
An estimated 35 to 40 artists will be included in AP NOW!
Each artist will be provided with an 8 to 10 foot grid wall booth installed by AP
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS – Wednesday June 27, 2018 end of day
APPLICANTS NOTIFIED – By Monday July 16, 2018 end of day
EXHIBITION DATES & VENUE LOCATIONS
#1 - Friday September 7 & Saturday September 8
Centre for International Governance Innovation CIGI, 67 Erb St. West, Waterloo, ON
* Art Delivery & Installation – Thursday September 6 at pre-booked times from 1-8pm
* Opening Reception – Friday September 7 from 6 - 9:30pm
* Exhibition Continues – Saturday September 8 from 11 - 4pm
* Teardown - Saturday September 8 after 4pm
#2 Saturday September 22 & Sunday September 23
Wellington Brewery Warehouse, 510 Grosvenor Road, Guelph, ON
* Art Delivery & Installation - Saturday September 22 from 10- 4pm
* Opening Reception - Saturday September 22 from 6 -9:30pm
* Exhibition Continues - Sunday September 23 from 11 - 4pm
* Teardown - Sunday September 23 after 4 pm, includes optional sold art pick-up
APPLICANT & ARTWORK ELIGIBILTY
a) Paid-up Art$Pay (AP) members at the time of submission and exhibitions. Visit www.artspay.org for membership benefits, terms and to become a member
b) Professional visual artists who are residents of Guelph and Wellington County
Contemporary work of any style, with original 2D and 3D artwork produced since 2015 which is relevant to the exhibition title, with limited edition work having 10 or less copies in the series, each signed and numbered. Installation work is not included. Artists submitting 3D work must supply their own display stands/ plinths approved by Art$Pay for exhibition.
Artist selection process:
Participants will be selected based on this June 27th submission. Applicants must indicate one of two binding options in their submission:
a) The submitted images is the work intended for display at AP NOW!
b) The artist plans to submit an equivalent amount of new work for Juror selection by August 8, 2018
In both cases the Juror may arrange for a studio visit and has the right to refuse any work delivered to AP NOW! which is not as depicted electronically in submissions, or as viewed during that studio visit.
Deadline is end of day Wednesday June 27, 2018 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only complete submissions received by deadline will be considered. Visit https://artspay.org/exhibiting for information on submitting digital images and artist statements.
1. Email Subject: “(Your Full Name) – AP NOW! Submission”
2. Up to twelve (12) artworks submitted per artist with good quality jpg images, with one to three images submitted for each of the 12 artworks in the case of 3D works only.
If the images exceed 2 MB, please upload your images to Dropbox, Google Drive or another file-sharing service and provide a link in the body of your submission email. Images must be numbered correctly and correspond correctly to those in your image list.
3. Indicate in the body of the email if the submitted images are the final submission of work intended for AP NOW! display or optionally, if selected, the artist plans to submit new work to the juror for selection by August 8, and the number and approximate size of those new works.
4. An image list, in this order: electronic image number, title, series numbering if applicable, year completed, medium(s) specified, dimensions in inches h x w x d, price including HST if applicable.
4. Attach to your email a one page PDF with:
* Your full name, phone(s), email and website address
* A brief artist statement 150 words or less
5. Your presence during all AP NOW! exhibition dates and times
1. All applicants will be notified by email. The Artist Agreement will be attached for successful applicants, with a deadline for mailed return. Art$Pay members include a refundable $75 deposit, cash or cheque with their signed agreement. Guelph and Wellington County artists include a $75 non-refundable fee, cash or cheque. E-transfers are not possible.
2. By signing that agreement the artist has agreed to be responsible to provide the promised selected artwork and requested information by deadlines. The Juror will indicate the number of pieces which are selected to be displayed at AP NOW! and if other submitted works are approved to replace sold work.
3. Images submitted may be used by Art$Pay for event promotional purposes.
4. Works must be delivered ready to install to both venues, with proper hanging mechanisms on 2D work for metal hooks. Artists will be directed by the Juror to install their own artwork. Artists provide their own art labels using a common format provided by AP.
5. Artists handle their own sales transactions. Sold art must remain in the AP NOW! exhibition until closing at 4 pm on Sun. Sept. 23, 2018. Artists agree to pay 20% commission to Art$Pay on all sales at the closing of NOW on Sun. Sept. 23, and on any sales and commissions received as a result of this opportunity for up to 30 days inclusive following the exhibition, payable when artist payment is received.
1. What about the AP Refundable Deposit?
A benefit of membership, there is no Artist Fee required from AP members to make a submission, or to participate in this exhibition if selected. Their $75 refundable deposit will be held only, and will be returned except in the case of non-attendance or non-compliance. In those circumstances only it will be applied to cover that artist’s event expenses.
2. Why a commission to AP?
The 20% pre-tax AP commission on sales and commissions up to 30 days following the closing of NOW helps to recover exhibition costs and to provide future AP member opportunities.
3. What is Art$Pay?
An artist-run, non-profit organization in Waterloo Region, Art$Pay connects visual art practitioners with opportunities, community, and advocates for fair pay. The $35 annual member fee pays another practitioner to work on members’ behalf to do postings, website maintenance and communications.
Member benefits includes access to the display system at member rates, a Discount Card for use at Curry’s Artist’s Materials, Chapters Waterloo, THEMUSEUM, ZM Cycle & Fitness, Open Sesame and more, free art critique sessions in public galleries with paid professional art experts, art rental opportunities including The Centre In The Square, juried exhibitions and sales organized for members, notifications of posted jobs and Calls, subsidized workshops, monthly Meet-ups with organized Artist Talks, and other benefits at www.artspay.org .
4. Do I need to be present at NOW?
Yes, to give the public an opportunity to engage with the artist to learn, to process any sales, and to be available to plan future opportunities with guests and other artists. This is non-negotiable.
5. Can I sell my artwork, and replace sold work?
Each artist handles their own financial transactions, tracks sales and pays the 20% commissions owing to AP on September 23 by cheque or cash.
Replacements for sold work must be approved by the Juror, and be in the submitted body of work or at the time of install. The artist is responsible for maintaining a professional display and making arrangements with purchasers to deliver sold art after AP NOW! closes in Guelph on Sunday September 23, 2018.
6. Will there be an admission to this exhibition?
Yes, reception tickets for both exhibitions will be $15 to help cover live music, food and wine or beer tasting, and are also good for exhibition re-entry the following day. The daytime exhibition price is usually less, around $5 cash. Children 12 and under are free. Suggested donations to AP are also welcome to help offset exhibition expenses.
More details will be provided to successful applicants in the Artist Agreement. Please contact Cathy Farwell, AP Manager at email@example.com